Thursday, June 17, 2010

Show # 4

Last night was a good night. Pepperbelly's is always a good time, though. I'd planned to plug my Purple Onion show at the end the end of my set. I'd brought tickets to sell and everything. But I closed with a joke I didn't really want to hang out on stage after and completely forgot. Fail!
What I love about Pepperbelly's is the amount of really good comics that show up. Last night a bunch of SF comics carpooled out to the show and they all had really good sets. One of them, Roman Leo is going to be in the Purple Onion show with Heather and I. He's a really funny guy and he's got the best terrorist beard I've ever seen. Heather had a really good set too. She did her set about running into an ex-lover at his wedding. She said afterwards she hadn't really been feeling it before hand but that set was one she felt the most comfortable with. And I gotta say, she went up early, 4th to be exact, and she definitely got the crowd warm and laughing.
The other cool thing about last night was David Lew, he's one of the guys that helped start the Pepperbelly's open mic and now he has some sort of official position at the club, not sure exactly what it is, but he sure does it. Anyways, he starting handing out entry forms for a six week comedy competition they are doing this summer. And the winner is gonna get paid, like a grand. Yeah, son!
There weren't any fights or anything this week, just a lot of good comedy, which personally, I prefer. Not sure when show # 5 is gonna be actually. Tonight, Heather and I are skipping Brainwash and heading to San Jose to see Mike Birbiglia, one of my comedy gurus, at the Improv. Then on Sat. my buddy Matt is getting married, so that should be a good night. I might be able to find a show Friday or Sunday night, but maybe not til Monday. Yikes!
Favorite Line of the night: "...and the sheets were all red, and you told the maid it was grape juice, like we'd been having slushy fight." - Heather Isaacs Royce

No comments:

Post a Comment