Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Show # 3

I don't really know what to say about show # 3. It wasn't a great night but it wasn't a horrible one either. Tommy T's was a new room for me and to be honest I was fully expecting to leave not having enjoyed myself. For two reasons. One: Its a pay to play room. $5 to get on stage. I understand the place has to make money but most comics are pretty broke and after driving the hour and half to Pleasonton the idea of then having to pay to perform doesn't really make my socks roll up and down. Two: Its a competition open mic and the winner can get up to $100 of the door. Sounds great right? Bullshit! In open mic competitions the winner is almost always picked by the audience. Post hoc ergo propter hoc, unless you have the funniest 4 minutes in the history of comedy, or have something that sets you apart (like being an actual kid or being a cute little blond girl that only tells jokes about how much she loves bjs) he or she who brings the people wins. Last night there was a kid who was getting up for the 1st time but he also brought his high school and extended family. So guess who was in the top 5 at the end of the night.
Before I continue, cause I realized I'm sounding a little bitter, overall I was happy with last night. I got a pretty good response from people during my set. Dwight, my roommate, came with and watched. He's been talking about trying to tell jokes for a while now and I think watching 30 comics mechanically crammed into 3 hours, most of whom were either bad, drunk, or first timers, helped him realize that the only things you need to do this are mildly amusing jokes and confidence. And there were other bright spots. The kid, literally, that ended up winning was a regular there. A 13 yr old named Joey Braggs. And he was the funniest there. He had timing, well written jokes, and confidence. So yeah, overall I'll give show #3 a 6 out of 10. Show #4: Pepperbelly's on wed. Later.
Favorite line: "When I was 8, I learned that cock meant penis. Then I heard about cockfighting, and it scared the hell outta me." - Joey Braggs

No comments:

Post a Comment