Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shows # 20, 21 & 22

Last night was intense and it felt pretty badass to be honest with you. Got outta work early so hit the road early and got up 2nd for...
Show # 20: Tommy T's Pleasanton, CA. Practiced my set the whole way down there. Last week, Ed made a point of mentioning that I went over time, so I wanted to make sure I had everything down, so I could get to my punchlines quicker, not ramble so much, and still get the laughs. Compressing a set like that, it really forces me to think about the exact wording and phrasing I use. Trying to figure out if its funnier to say "Masturbate" or "Jerk off" type stuff. Did pretty well, I thought, for an early set. I did my "Dying While Masturbating" rant which is pretty high energy, which I feel is always good early in a night. Hung out for a little after, but hit the road quick for...
Show # 21: Nick's Crispy Tacos, San Francisco, CA. Again, the drive was just me running my material. I had am entire new set of material, which I hadn't done in I don't know how long. So the nerves were up a bit. Plus my premise required some precise explanation, so again, I only have five minutes, so I gotta figure out the best phrasing. The smallest amount of words to explain the most. Sidenote: I'm really starting to love the food at Nick's. I had 2 crispy tacos last night, and they were amazing. And, maybe I'm just really starting to be part of the scene or whatever, but the vibe at Nick's is starting to be really cool, too. A lot of really good comics have been showing up. The place clears out of non-comics pretty quick thought. First few comics had to be clean again, so pretty much guaranteed my early spot. Second, to be exact. And the new stuff kinda worked. It wasn't as funny as it could of been, but I had a couple of people in back in stitches the entire time, so that always feels good. Anyways, got done, worked the room a bit, then got on the road for...
Show # 22: Churchward's Pub, Alameda, CA. Just found out about this room last week. It's run by Justin "Is Funny" Harrison(his real middle name, actually). I've seen him around a few places, the Brain, Pirate Cat, Monkey Club. And he is a really funny guy. In fact, towards the end of the night last night, he got up and he pretty much just worked the room for about 30 min. and killed the whole time. I, however, was first up. Did the same set I did at Nick's and, again, got some pretty good laughs. Polished the end a little bit. I did have a moment, right at the end, where for a brief moment, right in the middle of a sort of ranty Billy Mays impersonation, my mind just went absolutely blank. I watched back the tape it wasn't actually that long, but it felt like frickin' forever. Hung out the rest of night, and sort of fell in love with this room pretty quick. I don't know if it's always like that, but the people in the bar where amazingly responsive. Even hung out after and chilled with the comics for a while. Not too long, though. Not gonna lie. I found a new level of exhaustion last night. I haven't fallen asleep as quickly as I did last night in a while. It felt amazing though. Later.

Favorite line of the night: "So that means, if you're gay and you only like white men, that makes you an asian woman." - Josef Anolin

No comments:

Post a Comment