Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shows # 30, 31 & 32

So the highlight of the night last night, was that my friend Doris Tetz, whom I always love spending time with, came with on the comedy ride-a-long.  I'm not sure if she realized exactly how long a night it was going to be at the beginning, but she ground it out like pro.  So we met at her hotel in Vallejo and hit the road to...
Show # 30: Tommy T's, Pleasanton, CA.  When we got to Tommy T's, only the 2nd and the 29th spot were still open.  So I, of course, took the 2nd slot.  And I thought my set went alright.  I always feel like I have to bring a lot of energy when I'm early in a show, or when the audience doesn't have much energy, both of which were the case this time.  So, basically I was really loud my whole set.  I did The Perfect Entrance and Billy Mays, which are both a lot of, let's not call it screaming, but loud talking to be sure.  Then we only hung out for one more comic before we were out the door.
Show # 31: Nick's Crispy Tacos, San Francisco, CA.  Got to Nick's and just hung out for a while, got some food, fought a little crime, almost got in a fight.  I had my camera set up, ready to record, and this table in front of Doris and I thought I was taping them and they got all angry.  Then the guy seemed to get angrier when I couldn't stop laughing at the situation.  Fortunately, his wife informed him that it was a funny situation, and he moved on. Again, once Travis got there, my cleanliness got me an early spot.  Also, after I watched the video back I realized that when I was talking about this summer both at Nick's and later at Churchward's, I shorted myself one show.  And there didn't seem to be as many comics at Nick's last night.  Maybe they all came after I left, but definitely a lot of the usuals weren't there.  I did my Bathroom Graffiti set which seemed to get a pretty good response, although I realized after I'd forgotten a whole bit in the middle.  No wonder I came up done with like 2 minutes of time left.  Anyways, again, didn't hang out too long.  We had to get to...
Show # 32: Churchward's Pub, Alameda, CA.  Churchward's started out to be a bit of disaster last night.  We got there, and there were only 3 comics there.  Justin had run out of gas on the way there and Nina had gone to go get him, so Josef Anolin was hosting.  And there was a drunk girl birthday party there, that wasn't happy at all that a comedy show had broken out in the middle of their celebration.  So Josef and the other guy and I each did our thing for a little while.  Not really getting any laughs, and talking over the party in the back.  So then we took a break and waited for Justin and Nina to get there.  Once they got there, Josef went ahead and started the show again.  Then the night turned to a decent night.  I thought I might be able to get up again and count a 4th show, but it started getting pretty late and the bar had to close.  Plus, Big Al and Greg Asdourian showed up, so they ended up closing out the night.  Anyways, tonight, I'm gonna go check out Andrew Moore's improv room, try and get a little improv into this summer.  Later.

Favorite line of the night: "Don't laugh at things that aren't jokes." - Doris Tetz

No comments:

Post a Comment